Monday, July 1, 2013

To Cunt or Not To Cunt

Did you cringe at the title of this post? If so, you’re not alone.

Cunt is one of those words that still has the ability to make people squirm. To make them cringe. To make them say, “What the fuck is wrong with this author? Why would she use that word?"

I felt the same way up until about a year ago or so. I am a cusser. I can cuss with the best of them and maybe better. Cunt was the last “profane” word on my list that had any ability to shock me or give me the ickies.

When I got serious about writing an erotic paranormal romance, I decided it was time to take “cunt” out of the dirty-drawer and put it to good use. I didn’t want to be limited to “pussy” or the tamer “center” or the clinical “vagina” or the, what I consider weird, “sex”. I wanted to be able to sprinkle my manuscript with “cunt”.

But, Jocelyn, you say, that word is so foul, so derogatory, so yucky. Well, I say no. Not any more. How did I get over my aversion to “cunt”? Well, I’ll tell you. With the help of my best friend. We’ll call her G.

I told G my intention was to “get used to” saying cunt. She was down with that so we started sending text messages back and forth, as usual, but we incorporated “cunt” into everything. Some of those texts were fucking hilarious! It only took about two weeks of using cunt in ridiculous and funny ways until we were both so accustomed to the word, it no longer held that cringe-worthy power.

Say it. I dare you. You know you want to. Don’t be scared! Say it loud and say it proud. Cunt cuntity cunt cunt! Take that cunt back! You can do it, if only you dare.

Still not convinced it can be sexy or pretty or even relatively decent? How about pairing it with nice adjectives? Sweet cunt. Delectable cunt. Beautiful cunt. Delicious cunt. Sumptuous cunt. The list is endless if you use your imagination.

Here’s a quick line from my erotic paranormal romance, Araya’s Addiction.

“I want your sweet cunt to weep with desire for me, Araya.”

Obviously, that’s the hero, Kean, sexy talking to the heroine, Araya. I love that line. I think it’s sexy and I’d be totally cool with my alpha male saying that to me in the heat of the moment. :-)

So, I say, cunt away, smut writers! Take cunt back and make it yours! It is, after all  just another four-letter word.


7 comments:

  1. LOL Jocelyn you are too funny. What a great best friend you have :)

    Cunt's not my favorite of words but it's not on my no-go list either. I've read a few authors that totally made it work. It's all in how it's used.

    And yeah. Using sex? I find that one kinda weird too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cat herder! :-)
      Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm glad it's not on your no-go list.

      Delete
  2. I have nothing against using cunt but I tend to stick to pussy (I find the word pussy hilarious, especially when writing about shifters). Readers know that's what they'll get when they pick up one of my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite liberal with using cunt in my writing, I think it's a powerful word. But saying it in my everyday life - very rare (unless driving lol)

    Loved the way you became accustomed to using it, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I also have to deal with cunts while driving. Haha.

      Delete
  4. I'll admit, I'm a cusser too. I've been using the word cunt for years. There are so many people that it describes perfectly. LOL

    As far as my writing, I don't like to use cunt in a sexy setting, because I don't think it is sexy. To me the word is more of an insult.

    But, that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm a cunt. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such an awesome Cynthia! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...